The vacation in Guiuan series is taking a breather as I try to recover from a terrible virus that attacked my computer earlier this week. My work-related files, papers, researches and a lot of my serious writings were thankfully spared. But all of my photos, videos and audio files are gone the moment I hit the system recovery button on my netbook. I was near tears while I reinstalled the OS on my computer. I can’t believe how depressing this can be.
While I battle with this depression and try to get my computer working as before, here are some of the lessons I learned from the last couple of days and swear to live by from this moment on.
- Never save files on the C drive of your computer.
- Buy another external hard disk drive.
- Don’t leave beautiful photos laying idle on your computer. Print them! And put them in an album or on a frame.
- Stop downloading mp3s. Buy original music CDs instead and support the music industry.
- Take time to sit down and edit home videos and burn them into playable DVDs.
- Stop resizing photo uploads to web sizes. Never mind if it takes too long to upload. At least you have print quality photos stored safely on the net. You can always create new accounts on multiply or flickr if you run out of space.
- Install and actively use 3 types of antivirus. Why do these things never work anymore?!